Cost per meal: $9.47
Cost per serving: $2.37
Prep time: 15 minutes
Estimated calories: 300
I absolutely love Italian food, but often find at Italian restaurants the portions are too big and the food is prepared in the least healthy way possible. That’s why for this week’s budget meal, I decided to adapt Skinnytaste’s Baked Chicken Parmesan because I wanted to lighten up one of my favorite Italian dishes – and do it on a budget. The result is a great week night meal you and your roommates can easily make – or you can freeze the leftovers for when you’re on the go and have a great alternative to those sodium-loaded frozen dinners.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3/4 cups breadcrumbs
- Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning into a bowl. In another bowl, melt 2 tbsp of butter.
3. Brush melted butter onto chicken breast and then dip both sides of chicken into breadcrumb bowl. Place chicken breast on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining three chicken breasts.
4. Lightly spray cooking spray on top of chicken breasts. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Flip chicken breasts over and bake for 5 more minutes.
6. Take the chicken breasts out of the oven and spoon desired amount of marinara sauce over each chicken breast. I used about 2 tbsp of marina sauce on each chicken breast.
7. Top each chicken breast with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to cover the marinara sauce. Bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
I served this recipe with a side salad and bread with an olive oil dipping sauce just like in the restaurants. This would also be great with a side of pasta. Enjoy!