Cost per meal: $9.75
Cost per serving: $3.25
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Estimated Calories: 465
These chicken fajitas are one of my go-to meals during the week because I love Mexican food, but I don’t always have the time to go out to eat and can’t always afford fajitas when I do make it out since they seem to be one of the pricier items at most Mexican restaurants. The best part about this recipe is that I threw it together on a whim one night and so it’s easy to add in any other vegetables, other meats, or toppings you like to keep it interesting. This recipe is also great because it’s easy to make a single serving for yourself or make enough for some friends, too.
- 1/4 cup Mexican cheese
- Green peppers, red peppers, onion, sliced (I always buy the pre-cut fajita mix sold at most grocery stores since they are already pre-portioned and pre-cut)
- Perdue Short Cuts Southwestern Style Grilled Chicken
- Multigrain tortillas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Dollop of sour cream
- Toppings of your choice (lettuce, tomatoes, etc.)
1. Place skillet on high heat and let heat for 3-5 minutes.
2. Pour 2 tbsp onto heated pan and swirl around for about a minute.
3. Add green peppers, red peppers, and onion to skillet. I always use 1/3 of the package of pre-cut fajita veggies I buy, but you can easily buy your own fresh veggies and cut the portion size you want. Be careful because the hot oil might splash when adding vegetables.
4. With a spatula, move the vegetables around occasionally so they don’t burn or stick to the pan.
5. Once onions have started browning (usually after 3-5 minutes depending on how hot the skillet is), add in chicken. I always use 1/3 of the package of Perdue Shortcuts Southwestern Style Grilled chicken, which is already pre-seasoned and pre-cooked so I mostly put it on the skillet to heat the chicken up. You can definitely cook and season your own chicken or use leftovers from another recipe.
7. Serve mixture on two multigrain tortillas, sprinkled with cheese, and topped with a dollop of sour cream. Feel free to eat with tortilla chips or add lettuce and tomato on top just like you’re at a restaurant!